Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Shakalaka Baby



There is something meta-magical in the phenomenon that is the Bollywood movie musical. The high-school-show-choir-on-crack choreography combined with big budgets just really gets me.

The Bollywood musical also taps into the deeply ingrained and usually hidden part of my brain that longs for a reality where women and men spontaneously burst into song, dance, and matching outifts. I was introduced to musicals in eighth grade when we compared and contrasted "Romeo and Juliet" and "West Side Story" (which, if we'd had the internet back then, I could have copied this crappy essay and called it a day), and after that I grew up with a sense of hope and longing for this fantasy world where everything you say rhymes and comes out just right. It came as a great shock to my idealistic system when, around age 23, I accepted that my world was not to include outbursts such as the street dancing scene in "Fame" or the "Summer Lovin'" scene from "Grease."

Which is not to say that I've given up on the soul-lifting joy of music and dancing. Anyone who has passed me in the car knows that I'm typically either singing or dancing (or yelling at Sean Hannity for saying something ignorant...again) while driving.

All I'm saying is, I try to keep it positive, and it's the singing and dancing that really get me going. And if, at any time, you want to join me, well then Shakalaka, Baby!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's 6 minutes of my life that I will never get back. (cursing Jon for introducing me to this site) Good thing I had some time to burn. ;)

K.T. said...

I too, long for a world where breaking into song and some well timed, yet simple, dance steps is welcomed. The great thing is, I currently work in a warehouse. A pretty big one with high ceilings, giant aisles, and great acoustics. It is all I can do to hold back the urge to dance down the aisles singing "My Favorite Things" or "It Sucks to Be Me"*.

You'll have to be my guest one day at the lovely company cafeteria. YUMMY. Grilled Cheese and Tater Tots. But at least you will be able to see the temptation that I have to deal with every day.

*Note: "It Sucks to Be Me" from the musical Avenue Q was my favorite song a couple of years ago. I was having a bad 6 months. I can still sing it, but I no longer BELIEVE it.