Friday, January 26, 2007

Move over, Satan -- Now there's something temptationier!

So I'm on this retreat in the certified Middle of Nowhere, Indiana. (On the map, I'm somewhere in forested Brown County between Morgantown and Bean Blossom. Shut up -- I know.)

Anyway, at Waycross camp and retreat center, there are no TVs, there are no radios, there are no newspapers, cell phones have no reception, and there are land-line phones for emergencies only.

But! There is, I have discovered, wireless.

There are no words to describe the emotional vexation I am currently experiencing.

Part of the appeal of this retreat is being completely shut off from the world. So how the heck am I supposed to resist the temptation of the interweb-o-tron when it's easily accessible from my laptop (which I honestly only brought to show my retreat friends my Africa pics)?

Get thee behind me, Satan, and God help me resist the tempting lure of checking e-mail one more time.

What does it mean that even when I'm in the Middle of Nowhere, Indiana -- heck, even when I was in the Middle of Nowhere, West Africa -- I can't go more than 5 minutes without checking e-mail? Oh, right: this. And also this:

No comments: