Friday, January 04, 2008

It's all about meme

I guess the cool bloggerific thing to do when New Year's rolls around is one of those self-reflective, Supreme Court case of This Year v. Last Year things. So here goes:

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?

Went to Sierra Leone, Liberia and India.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't remember making resolutions for last year, but for this year, I do have a few:
  1. Taking an active role in my physical wellness -- paying more attention to eating right and being active.
  2. Simplifying my "extracurriculars" -- focusing on just one or two things and leaving time and space for silence and contemplation (and off-screwing)
  3. Spending more time with family

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Yep, my brother and his wife had a Madelynn. Also, many friends of a friends either gave birth or are about to.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Yeah, and it sucked.

5. What countries did you visit?

Liberia, Sierra Leone and India -- jeez, are you not paying attention?

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?

More unstructured time to enjoy the condo.

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

July 10 was a good one because of the Madelynn-birthing. February 5 was when I started at Broadway.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

You would think I am very achievement focused, but anytime anyone asks me about "my biggest achievement," I freeze. I guess I would say becoming a published freelance writer (although the outlet in which I'll be published is coming out in February 2008, I did the research and writing in December 2007).

9. What was your biggest failure?

I think my biggest failure has been "getting it" at Broadway. I feel like an outsider who's not quite in synch with how things are supposed to be done.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Not that I remember, so probably not.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

My 2008 Nissan Versa.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Madelynn, the brillantest, compassionatest, beautifulest infant ever. She's sitting up these days! And also doing quantum physics!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Hmm, that's a tricky one. I would say anyone who couldn't see beyond themselves (me included).

14. Where did most of your money go?

Savings, rent, car payments, eating out.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

That anti-jet-lag diet, starting work at Broadway, Madelynn's arrival, my new car, moving to the condo.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?

I suck at questions like this. Mine would probably be that Soulja Boy "Crank Dat" or "Crank That" or whatever it is Mr. Boy would like us to "Crank".

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? About the same.
b) thinner or fatter? There is, in fact, more of me to love.
c) richer or poorer? Higher salary and higher bills.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Quiet time without TV or computer. More kayaking, more locking up of my kayak.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Running from commitment to commitment. Spinning my wheels.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

We did Family Christmas at JJ and Beth's on 12/16 because JJ, Beth and Madelynn went to Wisconsin to be with the other side of the family for Christmas week. Then on Christmas Day, I had dinner with Mom and Dad at their house.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?

Yes, with my car. And Just Pop In's cheddar popcorn.

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Dexter, or any of the Law and Orders.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Who has time to hate?

24. What was the best book you read?

"Small Mediums at Large," the autobiography of a short psychic.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Irma Thomas

26. What did you want and get?

A new car and two trips to far-off and exotic places.

27. What did you want and not get?

A sense of career direction (or comfort with the lack of sense of career direction).

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

Paris, Je T'Aime.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

It was an action-packed day on my 34th birthday with eating, eating and more eating -- each meal with a different set of friends/family.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

If somehow TV viewer/world traveler/blogger became a paying job.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?

Aging Preppie

32. What kept you sane?

Sleeping in and not having to be at work until around 9:00ish. Time with friends and family, and the friends who are family.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Rene Russo and Janet Jackson. Alliterative celebrities, like me.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

I don't think there's one specific issue, but I'm most stirred by the lack of civil discourse. We've become so polarized that actual political conversation (to the point where someone might say, "Hmm. I'd not thought of it that way before.") is an endangered species.

35. Who did you miss?

Jon and Jenny -- all the college gang, really...it's not just the ones in Arizona that I don't see much anymore. And my folks, since I'm not living at their house anymore.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

I would say a couple of them are people I haven't actually "met" per se -- just folks who've commented on the blog: Clif from up north and Sarah from Arizona. Best new person I met in real life? Madelynn.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.

There's always time.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

This is a hard one, but I'll go with and excerpt from "Home" from "The Wiz":
And if you're listening God,
Please don't make it hard
To know if we should believe the things we see.

Tell us: Should we try to stay?
Or should we run away?
Or would it be better just to let things be?

Living here in this brand new world
Might be a fantasy.
But it's taught me to love,
So it's real to me.

And I've learned we must look inside our hearts to find
A world full of love.
Like yours, like mine, like home.

1 comment:

Mike Mather said...

From Donald Hall's book "Life Work":

He travels to India and reports this from there: "One night I had a long conversation with a novelist named Gurcharan Das who is CEO for Procter and Gamble in India; we compared notes on Cincinnati, where I lectured on poetry 25 years before, and which he visits quarterly on Procter and Gamble business. He told me a story in order to bring up a subject. A week earlier, he had addressed a conference in Bombay which gathered four hundred young Indian managers for instruction in the ways of business. In the question period one young man raised his hand to ask, 'what is contentment?'

I bet we wouldn't get that question here! Anyway...may you find even more commitment in your good work here at Broadway over the next year. Blessings, mike