Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wal-Mart opens in Lafayette Square

About a mile from the condo, a new Wal-Mart is having its Lafayette Square grand opening.

Lord, help us all.

The local FOX morning show is interviewing Jason Wetzel, senior shill PR manager for Indiana. So far, I have learned:

  • For the 425 new jobs the Wal-Mart brings to the Lafayette Square micro-economy, they received over 7,000 applications. 7,000 applications. To work at Wal-Mart.
  • Wal-Mart is committed to serving the uniquely diverse Lafayette Square area, carrying such items as -- and I am not making this quote up -- "rice."
  • And (I am also not making this up) "shrimp-flavored french fries." (My research indicates that this is, perhaps, targeted at an Asian audience.)
  • They are further wading into the diversity pool by offering eyebrow threading, which rich white man Jason Wetzel assures us is very popular among people of Mediterranean descent. ("They do not pluck; they thread.")

I kind of think that the addition of a Wal-Mart just down the street will be a handy convenience. But I haven't shopped at a Wal-Mart in years and really don't intend to start now.

What I'm MOST excited about is the crowd at my Meijer going down a little bit...assuming it doesn't go down to the point where even the Meijer is thwarted by the retail juggernaut. Time will tell...

2 comments:

K.T. said...

You know...threading is very popular and not just with people of Mediterranean descent. I know many people who routinely get eyebrows threaded. I have even had it done a couple of times.

You know...there is a bill that is before the Indiana Legislature to regulate threading. See this article headlined "Obscure bills are also on the agenda": http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080119/News01/801190353/1052/News01

SSS said...

I am fully behind the "toilet facility access bill" mentioned in the linked article.