Friday, April 11, 2008

An alternate theory of the resurrection

Is it "of the resurrection" or "of the Resurrection"?

Each year, about this time about three weeks ago, I start to have the same thoughts about JC and His Astonishing Feats. What was the deal? How did it work? How did it feel to be resurrected? Was he really dead? And how, exactly, did Mel Gibson manage to make millions of dollars off the story?

This is an interesting, although medically dense and therefore a touch difficult to understand, theory of what exactly went down on Golgotha-which-means-Skull. There's all kinds of stuff this doesn't address, namely what happened to Jesus after he got back up and left the tomb, but still, food for thought, right?

3 comments:

Cliffie said...

You're asking for trouble, Mr. SSS. You will hear from nutcase fundamentalists, deranged liberals and maybe a new ager who's in touch with a 10,000 year old entity from the other side.

SSS said...

Wow, I hadn't expected to cut such a wide swath with this post! :)

I really do hope there's room for questions in Christianity, because while I can accept a lot on faith, I still have lots of stray thoughts every now and then. Not exactly non-Christian thoughts, just maybe under-Christian thoughts -- infra-Christian thoughts, one might say?

Anyway, bring on the nutcases, the deranged, and the new agers! With comment moderation, I can always just hit delete! (Although I don't think I've ever done that.)

Ket said...

Ten years ago, I would have felt like a heretic just reading that. Ah, how the times have changed! (Thank goodness.)

Anyway... I suppose I find the theory and interesting one, but I wonder why it's needed. At what point is it necessary to find reason in the mystery? If I can accept that Jesus walked on water without needing an explanation from a physicist on how that could have been possible, then I don't need an explanation from a physician (or whoever) on how Jesus "survived" the crucifixion & resurrection -- which, on a scale of 1 to 10 in the "things that are important about Jesus" category is probably a 10. At this point faith just gets entirely figured out of the equation. And isn't that the point in the first place?

This is not to say that I don't also ask myself some decidedly "un-Christian" questions some times and I'm sure I no longer fall into the historically conventional way of thinking. Ultimately, I'm not sure it really matters what I understand anyway.

Scandalous!

FYI -- love your blog. You slay me on a regular basis and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that!