Thursday, April 17, 2008

Yu make me so very happy

OK, so that'll be the last Yuma pun in my post titles for a while.

This morning, I'm heading back to Indy -- leaving Yuma at 10:05am local time and making it home to Indianapolis at 9:05pm. Keep an eye on United flights 5734, 0114, and 7622 today, if you'd like to follow along.

The last couple days have been a lot of fun. On Tuesday, I drove up to Phoenix and met with a member of Broadway Church who lives there now, and she entertained me with two hours of stories from her life and the life of the church. It was her 92nd birthday on Tuesday, and she was a very gracious host -- I had a blast!

Then, on Tuesday night, I made it back just in time for Trivia Night at Famous Sam's in Yuma. I was a bit nervous going into Trivia Night, as my arrival had been much-heralded. Trivia is pretty competitive at Famous Sam's, and the team was counting on me to lead them to Total Trivia Domination. Well, I don't know how Total the Domination was, but we won 4 out of 6 rounds, including the all-important Final Round, which resulted in us winning a t-shirt. Woohoo!

Wednesday was a whirlwind of activity -- just kidding. I did spend a couple hours with Jenny at her classroom. I had a school lunch, which was surprisingly good for the $2 pricetag, and then I visited Jenny's classroom and told her first-graders about my travels to Africa and India and then we all spoke Spanish together. At the end of the day, we Jon, Jenny, and I (edited on account of JJ's a smartguy) went to dinner at Burgers and Beer and then came home for an early night of American Idol and Air Karaoke (whatever that is) before heading to sleep.

This has been a terrific trip, and I'm kind of bummed that it's over. I'm eager to get Back Home Again in Indiana, though -- I'm surprisingly nostalgic for humidity and weather changes!

3 comments:

jss said...

You took a bunch of 1st graders out for burgers and beer????

K.T. said...

Ollie Williams is welcoming you back to the Indiana weather. You know he was so excited for his ninth snow while you were gone, he almost couldn't stand it.

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that we won 4 rounds and tied for first in the other two...that's pretty damn close to domination!

JL