Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Lifetime Reading Plan - A new sidebar feature

You guys know that guy Clif in Michigan? (If you don't, you should. Check my Links in the left-hand sidebar more often. Gah!)

Anyway, he once mentioned on his blog that his name is not Clifford but is, rather, Clifton. And then he mentioned someone named "Clifton Fadiman, for whom I was not named but I wish I had been. He was pretty smart."

I, as Clif surmised, had never heard of Clifton Fadiman, but I did some research "research" and learned that, in addition to being a radio host and all-around good guy, he also wrote "The Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classic Guide to World Literature."* This is an annotated list of 100 books that you are less than nothing if you haven't read provides entertaining and informative introductions to the great works of Western civilization.

Anyway, whether or not it was written by the same Clifton Fadiman, I've acquired "The New Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classic Guide to World Literature, Revised and Expanded," and I have decided to work my way through it from start to finish, starting with the world's oldest surviving narrative poem, "Gilgamesh."

I plan to keep a running total of my progress through the hundred books. I'm imagining it'll take me at least a few years to do it, as I'm also mixing in fun reading and also periods of no reading. It would also be cool if you wanted to buy me an Amazon Kindle with a gift certificate for about $1,000 (link to my wishlist here) so I could download all the books to it and work my way through them conveniently, rather than going to the library like a chump and trying to explain to the punk kid what "Gilgamesh" is.

Ahem.

Check the left-hand sidebar in the future for updates on my progress through The Plan.



* Of course, I have a pattern of misreading Clif, so it's possible this Clifton Fadiman is a different person from the one to whom he's referring.

3 comments:

Clifton said...

There's nothing wrong with your reading. I have a pattern of miswriting.

Clifton

SSS said...

I wish, I wish, I wish that every morning, when I wake up, the first thing I read is as smart, relevant and funny as Clifton's comment.

I wish, I wish, I wish for more pith.

Meana said...

You could be onto something here. I bet you could get some readers ( or at least some of your regular blog followers) to do a virtual reading group.

I, however, must bow out of the first selection. An epic poem...and you thought Tolle was hard to follow?