Thursday, June 19, 2008

Crappy Hour at the Symphony

I don't know what I expected when I won four tickets to the Indianapolis Symphony's "Happy Hour" event as part of a silent auction gift package a few weeks ago.

But it sure wasn't this.

Tonight, Will, Carolyn, Kim and I headed to Hilbert Circle Theatre with tickets in hand, prepared to enjoy some hors d'ouevres and cocktails before a mini-concert by Artist TBA. (We had no idea what the hour-long concert was going to be.) What we found was something far more sinister: a lobby packed (no, PACKED) with people, dollar-fifty cokes in plastic cups, and -- I crap you not -- hors d'ouevres catered by White Castle.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm not about to break my 34-year-11-month No-White-Castle record at the drop of a hat. This is not a record I take lightly.

Anyway, we got our Cokes and whatnot, avoiding the White Castle, and a man with a defective megaphone came onstage and announced that the concert was c ncel d ... b cau of f re in the I L bui di g ne t door. Which we deduced meant the concert had been canceled because of a fire in the IPL building next door, with whom the Symphony shares a power grid or whatever.

So, they gave us free tickets to our choice of Symphony on the Prairie events. Which, I guess, is something, but I have to tell you that the Prairie seems a lot less attractive now that I live 30 minutes away.

But, you know, whatever. The tickets were free and now I have EIGHT tickets for Symphony on the Prairie, since there were four in the original silent-auction gift pack.

Wanna come hear the Indianapolis Symphony outside some time this summer? Let me know. Four of the tix are spoken for at this point (as a do-over for tonight), but the rest are up for grabs...

3 comments:

jss said...

Don't forget that your brother, your sister-in-law, and your niece live exactly 30 seconds from Connor Prairie..... Maybe you could take them if they were to... say, pack a White Castle-free picnic basket?

SSS said...

Sounds like a great plan! Just pick your weekend, and we'll do it!

jss said...

Although I live 30 seconds from Conner Prairie, I managed to misspell it! Haha!

Sounds cool! We'll look at the schedule and make some plans.