Monday, June 16, 2008

Sing out looooooooooooud, sing out strooooooooooooooooong!

If you've been keeping a sharp eye on the Twitter feed over to the left, you'll realize that I had my first-ever voice lesson tonight. I didn't sing with any choirs until a few years ago (showers and cars only, before then), and now that the music director at Broadway is offering classes ($15/half-hour session, which I think is a bargain, but I found out today that the going rate in Indy is just $20/half hour), I figured it would be a good opportunity.

So. There it is.

One of the things that I guess I'm preparing for, in addition to just being a better choir member and whatever, is the audition process for Broadway's fall production of Godspell.

In a few weeks, auditions will be held for the show which is running the weekend of October 10 - 12. I'm pretty sure that I'm all commitmented out for now and will be supporting the show from the sidelines, but I'm going to go ahead and audition anyway, just for the experience, and if they get desperate for folks, maybe I'll participate ... as long as there's no "acting" involved. I can sing OK and dance OK (shut up), but I get freaked out by the acting. So we'll see.

Anyway. For these auditions, I have to choose a song to sing, and they've suggested a Broadway showtune of some sort. (If I must...) Let me know if you have any suggestions. Here are my ideas so far:

Any recommendations? (Preferably nothing in Swedish.)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having heard the shower versions of many songs in the past I would say "I'll Cover You" or "If I Can't love Her" from Beauty and the Beast.

-Homer

K.T. said...

Oh My!!! Why not just go ahead and do "It Sucks To Be Me" from Avenue Q?

I listen to AccuBroadway at work (yes, I do love the Showtunes) and I would almost suggest "Edelweiss" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJzl0ji_S7Q from the Sound of Music or maybe something else. I'll keep my ears open for a suggestion tomorrow.

SSS said...

Wow, "Edelweiss" would be a great tribute to my parents -- that's "their song"! Good thinking!

SSS said...

And yes, Mikey (Homer), after so many shared hotel rooms and trips to Ocean City, I imagine you are more than qualified to offer suggestions! :)

SSS said...

And KT, I just pulled up "Avenue Q" on my iTunes and realized the perfect song: "My Girlfriend Who Lives In Canada"! :) Haha!

Anonymous said...

Having once paid (as an undergrad, mind you) a bargain basement $75 an hour for voice lessons, I still think you're getting an amazing bargain. I think I've paid $60/hour in town - but only once.

No suggestions, as I hate finding audition music, but much luck!

Anonymous said...

Theatre girl here...I don't know your range (tenor/baritone...), but technically when auditioning you should pick another song (from a different musical) of the same composer...alas, this is not in the cards for you 'cause there are none! (That I know of!) I suggest you find something in your range that equals a part you want in Godspell. If that fails, sing a song that you think you rule over...Cole Porter? Something else from the early 70s? Simple, right? I'm pulling for you!!

K.T. said...

For your listening pleasure today at work, I suggest: http://www.accuradio.com/broadway/

A Chorus Line is playing now...I DO NOT recommend "Dance 10, Looks 3", but I totally think you could do "I Can Do That". But, you may need to learn how to tap dance.

SSS said...

Haha, I think I could give "Dance 10, Looks 3" a run for its money.

I just realized last night, though, that my "I don't think so" attitude about Godspell at Broadway is actually superceded by my "I can't" schedule. I'm going to be on a retreat in west-central Indiana the same weekend as the show, so I won't be able to participate at all.

So I'm not sure I'll even be auditioning now...

K.T. said...

But Scott! Please say it isn't so!!

I've just spent an entire work day listening to AccuBroadway (okay, not that big of a deal), but this morning at 7:30 a.m. I took out my lined sticky note pad and wrote "Songs for Scott" at the top so that I could make a note if I heard a song that I thought would be good for you.

And as I type, "My Girlfriend in Canada" is playing. :-)

Here are the results, in case you decide to audition for anything soon.

1. There's No Business Like Show Business from Annie Get Your Gun (I've heard the Tom Wopat version twice today)
2. Timeless to Me from Hairspray
3. Come Out of the Dumpster from The Wedding Singer
4. Comedy Tonight from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

A little sad that I only came up with these few, I know. But I'm going to keep the running tally, just in case you change your mind.

As a side note, I have come to the realization that other than A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, I really don't have any need for Stephen Sondheim.

SSS said...

This is why we're friends. I have no use for Sondheim.

I may still be auditioning...this wasn't all for naught. We'll see...

Anonymous said...

As a singer, a former voice student (amateur) and current lover of Sondheim (professional), I have mixed feelings about this post. You ARE getting a bargain. And you just should never, ever, ever sing something from "Rent." Ever.

-- Lisa M.

SSS said...

Well, your Sondheim love does make me question your taste (see above), but I will say this: I'm thinking "Make Them Hear You" would be good. Other options would be songs sung by female roles, such as "Back To Before" from Ragtime, "Waiting for Life" from Once on This Island or the hilarious "Everybody's Girl" from Steel Pier...although there's talk of doing a Broadway Backwards-style performance at Broadway Church some time, where the female performers sing showtunes originally sung by male roles and vice versa, so I may want to save those...