Monday, July 07, 2008

Curling in Indianapolis - Aww, yeah!

UPDATE: Turns out the clinic is full for Saturday. Which is actually just as well, since we have family coming in from Ohio for Madelynn's first birthday. There will be another clinic in August, so keep an eye on Circle City Curling for more info.

I just found out about Circle City Curling Club, an opportunity for us all to participate in the historic and elegant sport of curling!

I curled for about four months a few years ago, when I was in Ontario on a consulting project. (I was awarded "Best American" in the league! Of course, I was the only American in the league ... actually, I pretty significantly sucked, especially compared to the lifers.)

If you've never been curling -- or if you're one of the many (me included) who scoffed at curling as an Olympic sport -- check out this article from a recent issue of Indianapolis Monthly. And then, if you're curious, head on down for the curling clinic at the I/WSA at Pan Am Plaza, this Saturday, July 12, from 10:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The half-hour classroom session describing scoring and strategy would be worth the $10 price of admission, but you also get some ice time in there, too!

While there is a ton of strategy, technique and athleticism involved in curling (the ice doesn't sweep itself, you know -- and those stones way more than 40 pounds), there's also a powerful social aspect. It's no coincidence that the club where I learned to curl was a golf & curling club. I can see curling becoming the new golf ... maybe not immediately here in Central Indiana, but it's coming.

Will you be a part of it?

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I would LOVE to but I can't ice skate or ski with the knees. But I'll totally come watch you if you play!

Cynthetic said...

Curling is awesome. While its not quite as fun, don't forget that those with bad knees can use the stick!

Started curling with my hubby in October, and we are fanatical out here in Seattle, WA. We joined two leagues, and subbed across a bunch of others!

SSS said...

Wow, Cyn -- sounds like the Curling Bug bit ... and bit hard! I know the sport can be pretty addictive. I'm really excited to know that it's finally found a home here in Indy!