Tuesday, July 01, 2008

i, Phone

So now I have a decision to make.

Remember how I won that 3G iPhone at the Symphony Happy Hour? I thought I was going to just sell the gift card (the actual prize is a gift card in the amount to buy an iPhone plus tax) to a friend, but then, during breaks over the course of about 6 hours at the office today, I watched a half-hour video about how cool the iPhone is.

It would cost me $150 to break my Verizon contract, and the iPhone calling plan I would use is about $20 a month more than my current plan.

On the one hand it's REEEEEEEEEEEALLY cool. On the other, it really doesn't make financial sense right now.

I'm leaning toward doing the adult (fiscally conscious, less fun) thing and delaying my gratification. I do want an iPhone -- it tastes like the future! But I think I can wait until my current Verizon phone plan ends in a year and a half, when the next generation of iPhones will be even better.

So, is that what I should do? Just wait it out? Or should I splurge and overspend to hold the future in my hand today?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I think you should give it to me. My contract ends in August... It's the adult thing to do after all. :)

jss said...

Since you already have an iPod and a phone... and apparently Sarah's contract ends in August, you should probably just give it to her. Of course you should send her a Form 10-99 at the end of the year so you don't get blasted on your taxes for something you didn't get to keep! :-) Or, you could forego the 10-99 and make her promise to buy you the latest version when your contract expires and then give me your old iPod!!!! (sans 10-99 since it'll be a couple years old already)

SSS said...

I am intrigued by your views and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Sarah "the car salesperson" Bisom said...

Lets negotiate... a donation to the charity of your choice or the Charity of Scott?