Sunday, August 17, 2008

Coveting... I WANT THIS CHRONOTEBOOK

Just a few days ago, I was lamenting my need for a paper-based planner-type thing that was more open for creativity and not as linear. Scott Dierdorf suggested the fine line of Moleskine products, of which I am now a fan.

BUT!

Today, I opened the Men's Journal magazine I inexplicably purchased at full newsstand price and the first page I opened it to featured this wondrous miracle of time management accoutrement:


The Muji Chronotebook doesn't have lines the way your typical planner/calendar does. Rather, it has two clocks in the middle of each of two pages per day (the lighter one for the AM hours, the darker one for PM hours). So, as in the example above, you just draw a little line out from the clock at the appropriate time, and you've got all manner of white space available to you for notetaking, brainstorming, doodling, whatnotting.

This just makes so much sense. Why did we not think of this sooner?

Sadly, this magical piece of personal assistance seems only to be available in person at a Muji store, which means I'm going to Paris, Tokyo or any of 90 other Muji Store locations, only four of which are in the US (all in NYC).

Or, I'm going to swipe the idea and totally make my own (not for resale) Chronotebook.

I'll keep you posted.

9 comments:

julmille said...

Or you could contact a friend in NYC to send you one...

SSS said...

No, no. It could not possibly be this simple. I believe it involves at least nothing short of a trip to Tokyo.

jss said...

That is really a great idea. That is very similar to how I visualize my activities of the day in my head. That must be why I always quit using my planners about a month after I get them. If you make your own (not for resale, of course) you could definitely GIVE an extra copy to your brother! :-)

jss said...

Oh, and beware of the Tokyo version.... just saw it online and it's in Japanese!!!

SSS said...

What's to be in Japanese? The "AM" and "PM"? Or maybe the 3, 6, 9, and 12? That might be kind of cool...

sarah (The 7th grade science teacher) said...

Scott, it will be a sacrifice on my part... but I will be your Tokyo tour guide. There was a Muji store near where I lived in Japan. I LOVED that place. Their furniture makes me think of IKEA, but then they have all sorts of cool trinkets.

Anonymous said...

Please keep us posted if u get one, I have been looking as well since I got my Mens Journal mag... Im in Colorado so its almost impossible to get. To add insult, Muji gave out 500 of these to their NY grand opening! :(

SSS said...

I KNOW! Fly-over states get screwed again...

I will keep you posted. :)

Troy said...

How Hemingway! Moleskin is so awesome.

BTW, I tagged you over at my Good Home blog, just so you know.