Friday, September 26, 2008

The heart of the matter



I've been doing a lot of thinking about forgiveness lately.

I seem to have found myself in a situation where there's some disagreement as to who is at fault, and even as I type those words, I realize how idiotic it is to try to assign blame -- both because it doesn't change anything and because even as I claim my own responsibility, the others seem committed to disavowing any role in this mess.

I'm pretty sure forgiveness is the way, kind of a concurrent process to follow while we extract ourselves from this quicksand as safely and simply as we can.

Forgiveness is the thing, right?

It's kind of ironic, because the Universe has raised a snarky cosmic eyebrow, offered a smirk, and said, "Hey, Scott, wouldn't it be just great if you sang an emotional song about forgiveness at this retreat in a couple weeks?"

Yeah. Just great.

So I'll be singing the song that I've embedded above, all the while trying not to feel too much like a hypocrite, since I'm not sure I have enfolded the pieces of my past (actually, my present) in Forgiveness's Embrace. I've invested a lot of prayer, meditation and self-reflection time in this issue, working hard to physically push out the fear and negativity so there's room for love and forgiveness. But I'm still working at it, doing my best, and some days feeling better than others. Time is the secret ingredient in this recipe, and it'll probably take a lot of that before I'm where I hope to be.

And until then, I'll just keep pushing forward, singing and praying, trying to love and forgive.

1 comment:

jss said...

I think it's ok to forgive those who don't know any better. It's best to try to help them in any way you can. Those who know better, and still choose to do wrong, are simply not worth it. To me, there's a huge difference between making an honest mistake and having evil in your heart.