Saturday, October 18, 2008

Carried away, a little bit



A couple nights ago, after choir rehearsal, I had coffee with a friend and then headed to the grocery store on my way home. This being the northside of Indianapolis at 10:30pm on a Thursday, the store was pretty empty, but they had the BEST Muzak pumpin'.

And I think you know what that means.

If you know anything about me, you are aware that this means that it was time for Dance Fever in Produce, Put-Put-Put-Puttin' on the Hits in Deli, and Star Search in Health & Beauty. Which was fine, because I was pretty much on my own and the only one who might have seen and/or heard me would have been the person watching the security camera monitors. "Cupid" (in the video above) is what was playing at that point -- I was singing and dancing much like a Spinner.

Unfortunately, this late-night-grocery-store anonymity lulled me into a false sense of security and when I made it to the check-out, I was in full song. And, God help me, full dance.

The woman in line in front of me looked at me funny, at which time I realized I was still dancing like no one was watching. This is the point where, in a movie, one of two things would happen: (a) she would join in and sing and dance with me, or (b) that needle-slipping-on-a-record sound effect would be played and I'd meekly wait for my lettuce and toothpaste to be rung up.

Things being what they were, and this not being a movie, I did what generations of selective breeding have led me to do, what I was programmed to do on a cellular level. That is to say, I denied any trace of reality and refused to even acknowledge that she was in line. Whilst continuing to sing and dance, I skimmed the Enquirer, I examined the nutrition information of Dentyne Ice, I placed my items on the little conveyor belt, and I placed my basket in the small pile of baskets on the floor.

I stopped singing when it was my turn to relate to the cashier, because I kind of thought singing would be as rude as talking on a cell phone at the check-out.

But I did keep dancing, just a little bit.

4 comments:

jss said...

It would have been perfect if a jet had flown by the checkout stand at the 1:58 mark!!! ... if only you had checked the flight schedule....

K.T. said...

My favorite Spinners song is "Rubberband Man". I have their greatest hits CD, in case you are interested.

Cassi said...

Hysterical... I've found myself doing the same thing a time or twelve! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

I love how you see everyday events through a movie musical lens.

Long time no chat! So much for being my MySpace buddy....