Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Jambalaya (On the Bayou)

When I was growing up, I remember very specifically a Carpenters tape (which seemed to be copied from, perhaps, an LP) that I enjoyed playing over and over and over again. And though I have downloaded "The Carpenters: The Singles, 1969 - 1973" on iTunes, there are some songs I remember which aren't on that masterwork. One of them is this one:



I have no idea why I enjoy this song so much, but I think it has something to do with the way it calls out to the communal, we're-all-in-this-together, caveman part of my brain in a very strong way. They may not have much (although jambalaya and crawfish pie and filé gumbo do sound quite filling), but what they do have will see them through. These Bayou people know what they're going to do and they know how they're going to do it: together, and with song.

I kind of think that would be part of my own brand/motto/perspective on life: "Together, And With Song."

No comments: