Friday, November 28, 2008

This was a good day.

I woke up this morning with a massive headache and almost went right back to bed. I am glad I did not. For, you see, today was the day I had plans with The Coolest 7-Year-Old I Know, one Mr. Trevor Tracey. And also The Coolest Boss I Ever Had, Ms. Kathryn Tracey, AKA "KT."

Trevor is KT's nephew, and he is awesome. In fact, he is my best seven-year-old friend.

I got to see Disney's new movie, Bolt, with Trevor and KT this morning. We saw it in 3D, which is getting amazinger and amazinger. We also saw Speed Racer in 3D earlier this year, but I think Bolt was even better: the story is great, the art is beautiful, the 3D effects were cool, Susie Essman as Mittens the Cat is hilarious, and Rhino the Hamster is "...beyawesome" and steals the show.

After the movie, we went to Trevor's favorite, Steak-N-Shake, where I had a fantastic double steakburger with cheese and a Cherry Diet Coke. Seriously, is there a better meal? Not for under seven bucks, my friends...not for under seven bucks. Throughout the meal, I quizzed Trevor on NASCAR -- who drives what number car, what color their car is, who their sponsor is, etc. He knows it all. This boy is the Encyclopedia Nascarica. (And did I mention he's seven?) I predict a future in either auto racing, sports commentating, or art & architecture for this guy -- he drew me a picture of the racetrack at Daytona, too. Either that, or some sort of superheroism, because "Trevor Tracey" is an awesome secret identity name.

When I got home from lunch, I didn't have a plan. I logged on to local social network SmallerIndiana.com (remember my beef with them? I'm over it.) and found some craziness about Dinosaurs and the Bible, courtesy of one of the nicest, but slightly crazy, SI members. I downloaded a two-and-a-half-hour video on her recommendation, just, you know, to see, and about 30 minutes into the video, I fell asleep. Friends, believe me when I tell you: if you're running a video about the Great Flood, dinosaurs, the Dawn of Man, and the Garden of Eden while you're sleeping, you're going to have some weird dreams. And not all dinosaur-related, either. But just trust me on this; your dreams, they will be odd. (Also, I remain unconvinced that dinosaurs coexisted with humans, but I suppose that's another blog post altogether.)

After waking up from my freaky-dreamed nap and convincing myself that I wasn't in eighteenth-century Spain waiting to ride my electronic pillow-chariot in the race for the grand-prize hot fudge sundae (I told you), I took a shower, made some dinner, and chilled out for a bit. Then I watched "Air Force One" on Hulu, which brings us to now. I am enjoying the post-holiday quiet, watching Milo hop around, reading Haruki Murakami's "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" and reflecting on a pretty good day.

How was your Black Friday?

FOR THE RECORD: Yesterday was a good day, too. I had Thanksgiving dinner with my family -- awesome deep-fried turkey, and Aunt Charlotte's rice, and all manner of other starches, and a delicious apple pie prepared by my sister-in-law, Beth. And then I went over to Will and Carolyn's and we watched "Tropic Thunder" with Earl and LuBea (Carolyn's parents) and all of us except Earl played a couple rounds of Apples to Apples. I was exhausted when I pulled into the garage at half past midnight, but it was a great day!

No comments: