Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I spent an hour, just now

Hey, kids! It's Poetry Corner! Click the player below to hear me read this one:







I spent an hour watching the snow falling on the partially frozen pond just now.

The tiny flakes aren't sticking to anything, really; they just add silent energy to an otherwise frozen morning.

The geese have gone, and the pond is toiling to tuck her every inlet, from shore to shore, under a thick, frosty winter blanket, when just last week a thin icy sheet was plenty.

I spent an hour watching the snow falling on the partially frozen pond just now, listening to "The Christmas Song" over and over and over on repeat -- a karaoke version, mostly piano, but with light, sexy percussion and soulful, jazzy clarinet. The tune invited me to the Holiday Place, where someone always waits to celebrate with you, where a cup of cocoa undoes the worst the world can throw your way.

I spent an hour watching the snow falling on the partially frozen pond just now, wondering what the future will hold, what grand adventure the universe has in store for me, for us.

I spent an hour watching the snow falling on the partially frozen pond just now, grateful for the hour, grateful for the snow, grateful for the pond, grateful for Now.

1 comment:

Meana said...

Thanks for this. You know how I feel about the pond...this was the nicest three minutes I've spent all day!