Monday, January 12, 2009

I am the sushi master!

On Friday night, I had my first (unsupervised) adventure with do-it-yourself sushi. My friends Sandi and Jeff got me a Sushi-Making Kit for Christmas, complete with all the stuff it would take to make a yummy sushi meal.

My friend Spike was coming over for dinner, and I had asked him how he felt about sushi. He mentioned that he'd had California Roll before, so I gathered the stuff: imitation crab, cucumber, avocado, etc. Sandi and Jeff had provided sushi rice and seaweed, and that's all it took!

Sushi making is actually pretty easy. All you need to do is cook the rice according to the instructions on the bag, slap some rice on some seaweed, layer in the imitation crab, sliced avocado and cucumber, roll it up on the bamboo mat, and arrange it nicely on a plate. Then add appropriate amounts of soy sauce, Sriracha hot sauce, wasabi, and munch away!

I will be doing this again ... and soon!

3 comments:

jss said...

Mmmm... you'll have to come over and make some for us (errr, or me).

Scott S. Semester said...

If you're a-buyin', I'm a-rollin'. Also, now that I know how to make the rice (that is, how not to burn it), I can make sashimi. At least, I think that's what it's called -- just some rice with some fish on it.

Need to find a good sushi-grade-fish dealer, though. Wal-Mart is good for many things, but not that.

jss said...

I'll spring for some fish, or imitation crab and such. I can guarantee that WalMart is NOT the place to find sushi grade fish. I would be hesitant to buy the imitation crab there!