Saturday, January 03, 2009

It's the idea of the pursuit of an idea, really

If you, like me, enjoy watching Mythbusters (or, at least, you did when you had cable) AND you're a fan of Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon AND you're interested in what took place at the recent conference called The Entertainment Gathering, you should check out the video below.

If not, then you may consider my permission not to watch this video as my gift of 17 minutes to you.

BUT!

It comes with a price, which, in accordance with the terms and conditions of this blog which I have just now made up, by reading this sentence you are now contractually obligated to pay. In return for not watching this 17-minute video of Adam Savage from Mythbusters telling the story of how he created his own to-the-millimeter-detail replica of the Maltese Falcon statue from the movie, you must do one of three things:

  1. Step away from the computer for 17 minutes and call someone you haven't talked to in a while and tell them how much you love them. You can take the entire 17 minutes to talk with them, or just spend it not on the computer -- your call.
  2. Take the next 17 minutes to leave a note in the Comments section here, detailing your goals, hopes, and dreams for 2009.
  3. Take a 17-minute nap, and awaken feeling refreshed and ready to take on whatever the universe hurls at you next.

Or you could just watch the dang video:



PS - This video came from the blog of Tim Ferriss, the Four-Hour Work Week guy, whom I find insufferably pretentious, but who blogs about some good stuff.

4 comments:

Clifton said...

Thank you for this opportunity, young friend Scott. Let me see, what was I doing at 35? I don't want to think about that. My goal:One more birthday so I can become an offical octogenarian on January 1, 2010. Sub goal: To produce a you tube of my toy room/Bettie Page Shrine.

Scott S. Semester said...

Good for you Clif! I didn't realize you were almost 80.

And, can I infer "Happy Birthday" is in order? Here's to another year -- and many, many more!

And when you get that video uploaded, I'll add it here, too, if you'd like! Looking forward to it.

Sarah said...

Sometimes I really miss cable TV. Though I'm not sure I could ever again justify paying $50 for the 10 or so channels I would watch.
Plus now I have a Wii! My first game system since our Dreamcast. It's Jon and Jenny's fault.

Scott S. Semester said...

I'm willing to bet that about 80% of the questionable choices you make* could be followed by the phrase, "It's Jon and Jenny's fault."

*Not that I'm saying that getting a Wii is a questionable choice, because the Wii is awesome. I'm just saying.