Sunday, January 18, 2009

Tarsem's The Fall

Earlier this week, I saw a movie that rocked me to my very core. It's called The Fall and it was directed by Tarsem Singh, who now just goes by "Tarsem." The film is, to borrow a word from Roger Ebert, magnificent: visually stunning, with a gripping story, brillantly cast, beautifully acted, and wonderfully scored. It has joined Clue, West Side Story, and Pee Wee's Big Adventure in my Top Four Favorite Movies Ever.

Here's the trailer:


Watch the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaoxB-eLHQ8

I have never been as engrossed in a movie as I was with this one. During its emotional climax, I was so engaged that I was in physical pain, crying in a way that can only be described as weeping + heaving + sobbing; I was weevbing.

I don't want to ruin this film for you by divulging details or by overselling it (too late for that, probably), but I'd really like it if you saw it and then let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see this movie! I'm intrigued. IMDB says it was made in 2006...is it on video now?
-Lisa (cuz)

Scott S. Semester said...

(Were you the Lisa from the other comment? I have a friend named Lisa who lived in the UK for a while, too...)

It's definitely on video. It went to the film festivals in 2006 but only got financed for general release in mid-2008. But it's available on DVD now.

I checked it out from the library. (Being on the no-income plan leads one to use the resources he's been paying for all along...)

I TOTALLY recommend seeing it. I thought it was great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I'll look it up...and no, the other comment wasn't from me...I'll always present myself as your relative!! Lisa (cuz)