Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Scott -- you ignorant Twit!

It turns out I’m doing a lot less blogging lately, and I think it’s because I’ve been investing time in Twitter, the micro-blogging site. You can see my page here. (And I will eerily greet you to that same page if you click here.) (Why does the phrase “FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE” seem like it would fit into that last parenthetical aside?)

Anyway.

On Twitter, you get 140 characters to answer the question, “What are you doing right now?” And sometimes I actually even answer that question. But I also use Twitter to have conversations – usually comedy-based, because you know I fear confrontation – with some people and to just get to know what’s going on in the lives of others.

I’m “following” (that is, listening in on) about 180 people right now, and I have about 250 people following me. Most of the people I’m following are in and around Indianapolis, but some are friends from school (Scott Dierdorf and Chad Norman) or even celebrities, like actors Wil Wheaton and Greg Grunberg, writers Neil Gaiman and John Hodgman, reporters Rick Sanchez and Ana Marie Cox, athletes Shaquille O’Neal and Lance Armstrong, even local weatherman Paul Poteet.

You should try Twitter out for yourself. It’s cool to follow along for a while before diving in headfirst, and you just might make a new friend!

Here's a handy video that it explains it all:



Can't see the video? Click here: http://www.vimeo.com/757146


UPDATE: OH! And I totally forgot: Using Twitter just won me a pair of Oakley half jacket sunglasses over the weekend. Occasionally, people you follow will have contests -- like, if you become their 1,000th follower or whatever or if they have a promotion going on to get you to join a website. I participated in a treasure hunt for Because You Can and won me some new, stylin' (and, according to Jon, bulletproof) Oakley's!

No comments: