Monday, March 09, 2009

Mmmmmmmmmmm... Roastburger...

The other day, as I was talking with my friend Julie, whose boyfriend Matt works in Arby's management, she mentioned Arby's new product, The Roastburger. Specifically, she mentioned that I could get one for free with purchase of a beverage. (She gave me a secret code word for use on Sunday, March 8, and I have since found a coupon that is valid through Saturday, March 14.)

So last night, I tried the Roastburger -- a roast beef sandwich seasoned with burger seasoning -- for the first time. Here's how it went down...

I went to the Arby's at 38th and Lafayette -- I mean, come on -- to obtain my (first of probably many in the next week) free Roastburger. I decided to go inside, so as not to get carjacked just to be safe with the handling of the coupon, and actually encountered no problem getting my free dinner. What I did have trouble with was deciding between my options. For, you see, there is more than one kind of Roastburger. Dig -- you can get:
  • The Bacon 'n' Cheddar Roastburger -- grill-seasoned roast beef with pepper bacon, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and onion on a specialty bun

  • The Bacon 'n' Bleu Roastburger -- grill-seasoned roast beef with pepper bacon, bleu cheese spread (whatever that is), lettuce, tomato, and onion on a specialty bun

  • The All-American Roastburger -- grill-seasoned roast beef with lettuce, tomato, pickles, onion, ketchup, mustard, and "our tantalizing special sauce" (whatever that is) on a specialty bun

I opted for the Bacon 'n' Bleu Roastburger and it took Violeta, the counter-service person who had a single braid of hair down to the back of her knees, a little longer than I'd anticipated to get me my sandwich, but that was OK; I was in no hurry.

I got me and my Roastburger home and opened up my haul. It looked like a typical Arby's roast beef sandwich, just with bacon and other stuff on it. But when I took a bite, it really did taste like a burger -- like a loose, kind of randomly compiled, burger. I'm not sure it changed my decades-old preferred Arby's order (Beef 'n' Cheddar, curly fries) forever, but it was good.

Especially since it was free.

"But," as the inimitable LeVar Burton used to say on Reading Rainbow, "you don't have to take my word for it." Use the coupon link above and get your own today -- no secret code needed! Just print the coupon out -- in color, since sometimes places make a big deal about that -- and, heck, you can even print out three coupons and try all three varieties!

No comments: