Friday, April 17, 2009

The Trip to the Library

I went on a hike today.

I'd been thinking about walking to the Pike Branch of the Indianapolis-Marion County Library for a long time and decided, after getting e-mails that 7 items (2 books, 4 CDs, and a DVD) were on hold for me, that today was the day. So I looked it up and found it would be a three-mile trip, one way.

You know how sometimes things look really close together on a map? Well. It turns out they're not necessarily that close together in real life. I know that now.


Above is the route I took, starting in the southwest corner, and making a big loop up to the library in the northeast corner there. I had printed out the map that would allow me to cut through the neighborhood (the eastern bend of the trip) on the way to the library, but I forgot to bring it with me, so I got lost in the every-home-looks-alike neighborhood and emerged over on Moller Road, so I could head straight north to 62nd Street, turn west and then head north to the library. On the way back, I took the route I was most familiar with, even though it was probably a little longer.

Overall, it was a nice six-mile hike -- and it's good to know that I'm able to travel, self-powered, for six miles. You know, just in case the Zombie Apocalypse really does come.

On the way back, I tweeted that, if my life were an episode of Law and Order, this would be when I would discover a corpse. So I started keeping track of the things I saw along the side of the road. Here's a partial list of what I found:
  • 13 hubcaps
  • 11 condoms (Gross.)
  • 6 single gloves, 4 of which were a shade of pink
  • 4 hammers (What? I don't know. You tell me.)
  • 2 spelling lists (1st grade, 5th grade)
  • Countless pop bottles
  • 0 dead bodies
So, there it is. What I Did This Afternoon, by Scotty Semester

4 comments:

jss said...

If you should ever see any more hammers, or other valuable hand tools, laying around the roadside, your brother would be happy that you pick them up and hand them to him! :-)

jss said...

Oh, and those hubcaps will bring some good money on ebay if you are so inclined to pick them up too.

Scott S. Semester said...

Yuck. I'll show you where the hubcaps and hammers are, and you can pick them up yourself. :)

Anonymous said...

I just read this post so I'm commenting late but here goes... Don't you think the gloves were left there to use to pick up the hubcaps and hammers??? Think about it!!!