Monday, June 01, 2009

It's a quiz! And there's a prize!

Hey, if you're reading this on Facebook, parts are missing. Click over to my blog for the full effect, why doncha: http://sssemester.blogspot.com

The other day, I was listening to a collection of Muppet songs, and one of them was "Happiness Hotel" from The Great Muppet Caper -- one of my favorite movies from childhood. What struck me about this song, apart from its hilarious comedy that there's no way kids would get, is that just from the first three seconds, I'm in a good mood. Dig:



That got me thinking about other songs and how there are some that I can identify from the very beginning. Some can make me smile in just a second or two. So, being me, I made a game out of it. There are 22 song intros in the MP3 embedded below. How many can you name?



And did I mention there's a prize?! Here's how to win:

Enter your song guesses (ARTIST AND TITLE REQUIRED... except in the case of TV theme songs - just the title required for those) as a single comment here on the blog. You can enter as often as you like -- but each comment/entry will be counted independent of your other entries; so if you get a question right in one entry but wrong in another, it only counts as correct in the one you got it right in. Got that?) If you're reading this on Facebook, go to the blog: http://sssemester.blogspot.com to enter your comment/entry.

The first person to get all 22 artists and titles correct in a single entry -- or the person with the most song artists and titles by FRIDAY, JUNE 5 -- will win...I don't know what. But something cool, with an Actual Retail Value of, like, at least $5. Maybe if you're the winner, you could tell me what you'd be interested in winning, and I could make it happen.

Of course, since all these songs are in my iTunes library, this quiz really tells you more about me than I will learn about you. And you may keep your snide comments about [ARTISTS' NAMES REDACTED] to yourself.

As always, standard rules apply: Judges decision final, proper spelling is appreciated, blah blah blah... OH! And if you have an iPhone, don't iCheat by iUsing Shazam, please.

NOW GO!

UPDATE: Wow, that didn't take long. Brooke Nelson pulled out the narrow win over the Yuma, Arizona, contingent plagued by infighting and backbiting. In case you'd like to play along, you can still listen to the quiz audio above and make your own list. I'll put the answers here, upside down, so as not to ruin it for you.


UPDATE UPDATE: The kids seemed to have fun playing and I had a good time making up the test. So, check back here at 7:00pm EDT on Saturday, June 6, for another go-round of Song! Intro! Challenge! I'll set the post to go live right at 7:00pm Eastern on Saturday, and I'll come up with a prize for Saturday, too. Hopefully the Yuma team will have worked out their teamwork strategy before Saturday evening.

6 comments:

Brooke Nelson said...

1. Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - U2
2. Down At The Twist and Shout - Mary Chapin Carpenter
3. Gilligan's Island - theme
4. American Woman - The Guess Who
5. Up Where We Belong - Jennifer Warnes/Joe Cocker
6. Who's The Boss - theme
7. Fire and Rain - James Taylor
8. The Love Boat - theme (I knew that song in one note)
9. Freeze Frame - J. Giles Band
10. I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
11. Rhythm Is Gonna Get You - Gloria Estefan
12. Friends In Low Places - Garth Brooks
13. All Right Now - Free
14. Lost In Your Eyes - Debbie Gibson
15. Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
16. China Girl - David Bowie
17. Close To You - The Carpenters
18. My Heart Will Go On - Celine Dion
19. Fight For Your Right (To Party) - Beastie Boys
20. Walk Like An Egyptian - The Bangles (knew this one in one note, too)
21. Heat of the Moment - Asia
22. Shadow Dancing - Andy Gibb

Side Note: I own all but the following of the above songs: #2, #16, #22
Thanks for the fun!

Esmerelda said...

Have you been successful in finding a job yet Scott? You have many skills and much much time on your hands. Go forth and conquer the world.
Esme

jss said...

Though I did not reach the perfection that Brooke did, I enjoyed playing. It's amazing how just the intro to a song can take you back to a memory. I missed #5, #6, #14, #17, and #18. I'm actually thankful that I didn't know a couple of those!

Meana said...

I am SAD that I missed this original quiz as I was much better at this then the non-word sound bytes...I missed #2, #16, #19 & #22.

I know the judge's rulings are final, but I'm also going to dispute your citation on #11. I believe the *correct* artist reference should be Gloria Estefan & The Miami Sound Machine, which was their second artist name (Miami Sound Machine>GE & TMSM>Gloria Estefan), just FYI!

Having said that, I'll leave out my judgment about one song on this list and go back to work! I'll have to do the 8 minute quiz on my own time at home! :)

Scott S. Semester said...

Such a stickler! I, too, thought "Gloria Estefan & the Miami Sound Machine" (and I would have allowed such an answer -- any of the three answers you suggested were valid), but for the record, my Gloria Estefan "Greatest Hits" in iTunes just said "Gloria Estefan" for the artist.

Meana said...

Haha, yes, in the end, they're all vaild responses, but I'm a stickler. The only reason I'm sure about that reference is because it was my very first concert EVER...with my parents! :)

But iTunes only lists her name because she released that GH album later after the final name change.