Saturday, July 04, 2009

Song! Challenge! #6: All At Once

Friends, I believe this to be the most difficult Song! Challenge! yet. I know all the answers, and I find it difficult to provide all the answers.

For you see, this week's theme is "All At Once." How many of the song titles and artists can you identify when they are played at the same time?

Lucky for you, only three songs are playing at any given time, and at all times, one of them is "All At Once" by Whitney Houston. Your task is to name all 18 of the OTHER songs in this week's Challenge! Some extra information for this week's game:

  • The first 17 of the 18 clips are 20 seconds in length. The final clip is 10 seconds long.
  • The clips overlap each other by ten seconds. So the first clip goes from 0:00 to 0:20, the second clip goes from 0:10 to 0:30, the third clip goes from 0:20 to 0:40, and so on. That is to say, a new clip starts every ten seconds. The last clip goes from 2:50 to 3:00.
  • Because this week's Challenge! is a tough one, I will not require that your responses necessarily be in exact order. It'd be super if you can at least vaguely approximate the order that they come in, but if you identify the song but mess up the order, I will not penalize.

The Rules (Downing the Stickler Quotient, maintaining my general slackerly leniency)

Your job is to enter your song guesses for all 18 songs (artist AND title) as a single comment here on the blog. Standard rules apply (Judge's decision final, have fun, if it's a TV theme song -- and there is but 1 this week -- we just need the name of the show, blah blah blah). Again, I'll be counting minor misspellings and other tiny inaccuracies as correct, as long as you're mostly right. And the order need not be perfect.

You may enter as often as you like -- but each comment/entry will be counted independent of your other entries; so if you get a question right in one entry but wrong in another, it only counts as correct in the one you got it right in. (Got that?) If you're reading this on Facebook, go to the blog: http://sssemester.blogspot.com to hear the quiz and enter your comment/entry.

The Grand Prize

The first person to get all 18 song titles and artists correct in a single entry -- or the person with the most song titles and artists correct by 7:00PM EDT ON TUESDAY, JULY 7 -- will win a very special prize: dinner for you and a friend at my house at a mutually convenient time AND you get to choose any song from the 16 clips included in this contest, and I will make a video of some sort out of it -- depending on the song, it'll be either me performing it or maybe an old-school music video (remember those?) to the song. Or maybe just me dancing to it.

PRIZE NOTE: I'm running out of Grand Prizes, so if you or your business would like to sponsor the Song! Challenge! prize package, please let me know by e-mailing SSSemester[at]yahoo[dot]com. I put out a call for prizes on Facebook and have some REALLY GOOD ONES for the coming weeks -- valued at $10 or more, so this is serious stuff now. I'll stick with the dinner-at-my-house grand prize for this week, though, because that's a good one, too.


(Almost) Everybody "Wins"

In the grand tradition of a participant prize for all (and in acknowledgment of the fact that this one is pretty hard), anyone who ENTERS IN THE COMMENTS and gets at least three songs correct in this Song! Challenge! and leaves their e-mail in their comment or sends me their e-mail address directly (SSSemester [at]yahoo[dot]com) after putting their official entry in the comments WILL RECEIVE A SPECIAL, SUPERSECRET LINK to the SSSemester-made video of the song chosen by the winner.


Readysetgo by clicking the player below:



Again, if you're on Facebook, you'll want to click over to http://sssemester.blogspot.com to play!

17 comments:

Brooke Nelson said...

1. Waterloo - ABBA
2. The Greatest Love Of All - Whitney Houston
3. Heartlight - Neil Diamond
4. Hoedown Throwdown - Miley Cyrus
5. All At Once - Whitney Houston
6. If I Were A Rich Man - Fiddler On The Roof

This is a nightmare for a person like me who can't stand to listen to chaos. I'm done.

Scott S. Semester said...

I told you it was hard! :)

Ket said...

I got this far, then found myself only listening to Whitney.

O to the MG that was HARD!

1 ABBA - Waterloo
2 Neil Diamond - Heartlight
3 Miley Cyrus – Hoedown Throwdown
4 Alan Jackson – Don’t Rock the Jukebox

(Am I supposed to put "All at Once" in there, or is that a freebie?)

Scott S. Semester said...

"All At Once" is a freebie. There are 18 other songs, in addition to "All At Once."

daveandlisa said...

1.Christina Aguilera (Candyman)
2.K'naan Featuring Adam Levine (Bang Bang)
3. Alan Jackson (Don't Rock the Jukebox)
4. Simpsons Theme
5. ABBA (Waterloo)
6. Fidler on the Roof (If I were a Rich Man)
7. Dixie Chicks (White Trash Wedding)
8. Neil Diamond (Heartlight) from E.T.

9. Miley Cyrus (Hoedown Throwdown)
10. DeBarge (Who's Johnny?)
11. Randy Travis (Forever and Ever Amen)

Our brains hurt. We are going to bed!

daveandlisa said...

1.Christina Aguilera (Candyman)
2.K'naan Featuring Adam Levine (Bang Bang)
3. Alan Jackson (Don't Rock the Jukebox)
4. Simpsons Theme
5. ABBA (Waterloo)
6. Fidler on the Roof (If I were a Rich Man)
7. Dixie Chicks (White Trash Wedding)
8. Neil Diamond (Heartlight) from E.T.

9. Miley Cyrus (Hoedown Throwdown)
10. DeBarge (Who's Johnny?)
11. Randy Travis (Forever and Ever Amen)

Our brains hurt. We are going to bed!

Amanda M. (grrlygrl88) and Ryan said...

Here's the best we could do:
1. Waterloo - ABBA
2. Heartlight - Neil Diamond
3. Hoedown Throwdown - Miley Cyrus
4. Don't Rock the Jukebox - Alan Jackson
7. Candyman - Christina Aguilera
8. Bang Bang - K'Naan f. Adam Levine
10. If I Were a Rich Man - Fiddler on the Roof
Then somewhere down the line...
11ish. Forever and Ever, Amen - Randy Travis
16ish. White Trash Wedding - Dixie Chicks

shouldhavezagged said...

1. Waterloo - ABBA
2. Heartlight - Neil Diamond
3. Hoedown Throwdown - Miley Cyrus
4. Don't Rock the Jukebox - Alan Jackson
5. I Finally Found Someone - Bryan Adams and Barbra Streisand
6. All At Once - Whitney Houston
7. Candyman - Christina Aguilera
8. Bang Bang - K'naan feat. Adam Levine
9. All At Once - Whitney Houston
10. All At Once - Whitney Houston
11. If I Were a Rich Man from Fiddler on the Roof
12. I'll Always Love You - Taylor Dayne
13. Who's Johnny - El DeBarge
14. Forever and Ever, Amen - Randy Travis
15. Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion
16. White Trash Wedding - Dixie Chicks
17. All At Once - Whitney Houston
18. Simpsons theme

By the way, few things: (1) We now hate you. (2) We now hate the song All At Once by Whitney Houston. (3) We now hate the Song! Challenge! (4) We now hate each other. THANKS.*

*These are all jokes. Mostly.

Michelle (RealtorMichelle) said...

TOO HARD! It made my head hurt. I think I heard the Hoedown Throwdown, by Miley Cyrus. My hubby says he heard Alan Jackson and he thought some Clint Black.
I now hate Whiney Houston. Oh yeah, I heard If I were a Rich Man from Fiddler on the Roof too.

Sarah said...

Oh God! Make it STOP! Bad... very bad idea Scott.

Scott S. Semester said...

Muahahaha. I TOLD you it was hard!

K.T. said...

It drives the dogs crazy when I listen to this clip.

I have really smart dogs.

Scott S. Semester said...

I promise next week's will be decidedly less blood-pressure-raisey.

amyzta118 said...

Random Shuffle

Once you've been tagged...
(1) Turn on your MP3 player or Computer
(2) Go to SHUFFLE songs mode.
(3) Write down the first 20 songs that come up--song title and artist--NO editing/cheating, please.

Waterloo – ABBA
Turn on Your Heartlight – Neil Diamond
Galileo - Indigo Girls
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
(What's so Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding? - Elvis Costello
Other Side of the World - KT Tunstall
Jet Airliner - Steve Miller Band
One Week - Barenaked Ladies
If I Were A Rich Man – Original Broadway Cast Recording (or maybe the St. Lukes/Beth El-Zedick company)

Oh, wait… this is what we’re supposed to do, right? Because, surely, you don’t think that I could identify the cacophonous racket coming out of my computer! (Admittedly, in the face of sure defeat, I’m trying to get a special mention for “best use of a three-dollar-word.”)

Amy Bridges

P.S. I really thought I heard the Muppets near the end. I think I'm losing it.

guspearcycommunications said...

I couldn't figure out very many, but you hooked me with "Waterloo" by Abba and I could also make out "Love on the Rocks" by Neil Diamond.
The next set was too difficult. I heard the rap song and then I could make out "Don't Rock the Jukebox" by Joe Diffie.
I was able to pick up on "If I were a Rich Man" by Zero Mostel, I'm assuming.
Of course, I heard Rand Travis and "Forever & Ever, Amen." I thought I heard the end of the Beatles "A Day in the Life" but I'm not sure.

I know, I'm a huge disappointment.

William said...

The fact that you were able to time the clip such that Whitney warbled out "All at Once" one last time so perfectly at the end cemented your evil genius status in my book. ;)

Meana said...

Waterloo-ABBA
Heartlight - Neil Diamond
Hoedown Throwdown - Miley Cyrus
Some country song I don't know
Makes Me Wonder - Maroon 5
I finally found someone - Bryan Adams & Barbra Streisand
You Raise Me Up - Josh Groban
Rehab - Amy Winehouse
If I Were a Rich Man - Fiddler on the Roof
And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going - Dreamgirls - Jennifer Hudson
Love Will Save the Day - Whitney Houston
Forever and Ever Amen - Randy Travis
Some Dixie Chicks song...still don't know very much country
Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion