Thursday, October 22, 2009

The hot beverage that changed my life (and I am mostly not kidding)

The other night, I got to enjoy something I've waited my whole life to discover: Café Orzo.

This is not a paid endorsement, although I did get the sample for free from my my awesome friend Naomi, aka Fontina, aka my Briscoe Quad partner in Lawrence Welk crime. (Don't ask.)

Café Orzo brews like coffee, but it's made from roasted barley, so it's caffeine-free. I actually had an Orzo-latte, with lots of milk and sugar, and it was delicious. Not sticky sweet like hot cocoa, not heavy bitter like coffee, just mellow and sweet and yummy.

Caffe d'orzo is apparently a mainstay of Italian warmbeveragery. Why it's taken so long for it to get to the States, I have no idea. Because OMGoodness, it is delizioso: warm, strong, and soothing.

Naomi had told me that she thought Café Orzo with milk and sugar tasted kind of like Frosted Mini Wheats, and I'd have to agree. It took my taste buds a second to process it all, but the Orzo-latte was awesome! I literally drank, like, ten cups of Orzo-latte on Tuesday night.

I'll DEFINITELY be ordering some more and sharing with friends...reluctantly, though, because I want to save it all for me! But, in the immortal words of Levar Burton, you don't have to take my word for it. Watch Omar drink some caffe d'orzo in Italia.

No comments: