Sunday, December 06, 2009

Recital Dreams

My friend Maria is awesome. Here's proof:



If you're playing along at home (what game that would be, I don't know -- "Name! That! Opera!" maybe?), that's "Laughing Song" from "Die Fledermaus" -- the backstory is that Adele (whom Maria is portraying) is a chambermaid crashing a ball unauthorizedly, and in the course of the evening she is introduced to her employer and must explain away her striking resemblance to his maid. (Which she is.)

Maria's recital yesterday was great, and it showcased her talents in a range of genres. She sang ten songs total (I was able to stay for 6 before heading to be a part of the concert at St. Luke's), with some upbeat and some more ballad-y, some Broadway, some opera (English, French and Italian), and some folky, jazzy stuff. You can see more of Maria on her YouTube channel. (Maria and I met when I was in "Fiddler on the Roof" at St. Luke's.)

As these things are wont to do, Maria's recital got me thinking it would be fun to have a recital of my own. Here are ten songs I would sing at my recital, with my selection criteria being:
  • They sound good in my vocal range;
  • They match my worldview;
  • I know all the words; and
  • I tried to pick a variety so they're not all the same style.
Here goes:
  1. Ave Maria (Bach, not Schubert)
  2. Let It Be
  3. Love Letters
  4. His Eye Is On The Sparrow
  5. Grow Old Along With Me
  6. Contigo En La Distancia
  7. Time Heals Everything from Mack & Mabel (probably in a lower key and with less cleavage than Bernadette Peters)
  8. A New Life from Jekyll & Hyde
  9. I'm Putting All My Eggs In One Basket
  10. Major-General's Song from Pirates of Penzance
So if I ever pull a recital together, you're invited. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Clifton said...

If this recital comes off I might have to head south to Hoosierland just to hear you do "His eye is on the Sparrow." If you can make that low note you've got a pretty good range. I just watched Ethel Waters sing her signature song in "Member of the Wedding." Tears and goosebumps.