Saturday, January 02, 2010

It's not your grandma's opera

I'm not sure how I stumbled across East Village Opera Company, but I'm glad I did. They are a group of musicians who take old-timey classical music (instrumental, opera, whatever) and turn it into rock-pop that is compelling, whether or not you know that it's based on centuries-old tunes.

Por ejemplo, whether you think you do or not, you know "La donna e mobile," but you've never heard it like this. If you're reading this on Facebook, ya gotta click the link, since FB doesn't allow embedded videos in auto-sucked-in blogs.



What I think is cool about this is two-fold. First fold, I think the music rocks on its own, and is very cool to listen to. Second fold, I think it's cool the way this music traces its heritage back hundreds of years, and even if Bach or Mozart or whoever could never have imagined me embedding a video in a blog to showcase a song based on their work, I think they'd be pleased by the enduring nature of their song AND they'd be honored by this creative, yet sensitive, contemporary interpretation of it.

1 comment:

Becky P said...

Holy moley - holy cow....these guys are fantastic!!!! Thank you for sharing this with me!!!!!!