Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Parts of Speech - A New Blog Game! (?)

Hello, dear readers. It is a joy, as always, to welcome you (both of you!) to ye olde blogge. I need your help tonight, in two ways:
  • Way the First: Play the game below.
  • Way the Second: Let me know what you think.
I'm considering implementing a multi-game approach to the blog, with up to 5 different games a week -- maybe even spinning it off into its own website. But before we get that grandiose, I'd like to know what you think of this one game. So, take a look -- and a listen -- and let me know!



The name of the game is PARTS OF SPEECH.

The gist is this -- I take a famous speech from history, chunk it up and mix it around, and then you have to figure out who gave the speech, where they gave it, and the date they gave it.

This pilot episode is, I think, easier than average. The challenge comes from being the first one to tune in at the right time and being the first to enter your guess -- and tracking down the other information about the speech, too, I guess.


The Rules

Enter your guess for the identity of the clip (SPEAKER, LOCATION, AND DATE) as a comment here on the blog. Standard rules apply (Judge's decision final, have fun, blah blah blah). I'll count minor misspellings as correct (as long as you're mostly right), but the date must be exact. Location should include at least city and state/country; if you'd like to be more specific, feel free.

I'll accept comment-entries until Wednesday, June 2, at 8:00 a.m. The first person to enter the correct speaker, location, and date of speech, wins! You can submit your comment-entry starting at 8:00pm EDT tonight, but I'll wait until after the deadline to approve/post any comments.

You may enter as often as you like -- like, if it's between two speakers or two dates or whatever -- but each comment/entry will be counted independent of your other entries; so if you get the speaker right in one entry but wrong in another, it only counts as correct in the one you got it right in. (Got that?) If you're reading this on Facebook, go to the blog: http://sssemester.blogspot.com to hear the quiz and enter your comment/entry.

The Grand Prize -- Normally there will be one, I think.

If I get feedback that this is kind of fun, and I decide to do it on a weekly basis like the Song! Challenge!, then I'll start giving out prizes. Be sure to let me know what you think in the comments section -- like, if this is fun or not. I figure it's something to do for the people who aren't into music but who want to play along.

And hey! If you'd like to participate as a prize sponsor by donating a prize valued at $10 or more, please e-mail me at SSSemester(at)yahoo(dot)com.


(Almost) Everybody "Wins"

Again, if this takes off, maybe I'll also have an (Almost) Everybody "Wins" prize, too.


Readysetgo by clicking the player below:






12 comments:

Kris said...

Lou Gherig's Farewell Speech July 4, 1939

Brooke Nelson said...

Lou Gehrig - Yankee Stadium, 4 July 1939

Paul said...

Lou Gehrig
40°49 Min 37 Sec N 73°55 Min 41 Sec W
July 4, 1939

Carol Lee said...

Farewell speech by Lou Gehrig on July 4, 1939 at Yankee Stadium in Bronx, NY

Lisa said...

Lou Gehrig at Yankee Stadium, July 4, 1939

His farewell speech....

This game could be fun! Let's play!

Dave & Lisa

Ryan R. said...

Obviously, Lou Gehrig, his "Luckiest Man on the Face of the Earth" speech. July 4th, 1939 at Yankee Stadium.

The Zoo Keepers said...

Lou Gehrig; July 4, 1939; Yankee Stadium

Beth said...

Lou Gehrig
Yankee Stadium
July 4, 1939

Amanda and Ryan M. said...

I think someone has already beat us to this, but here's our answer:

Speaker: Lou Gehrig
Date: July 4, 1939
Location: Yankee Stadium, New York City, NY

We like this one, too. Ryan was much better at this than Amanda was, however. We each have our strengths! :-)

Amy Bridges said...

Lou Gehrig, July 4, 1939, Yankee Stadium

Amy Bridges

Amy Bridges said...

By the way, if you want to come over and pick up crap I'm going to throw out for prizes, help yourself! (Sadly, all of the Christmas sweaters were taken to Goodwill tonight.)

K.T. said...

Scott, sorry i missed this game and the latest song challenge. I have been sick and really out of it. I hope to be a player next week.