Thursday, June 03, 2010

Pop Culture Math! Another New Blog Game! (?)

Hi! Tuesday night, I debuted a new blog game: PARTS OF SPEECH. What did you think? People seemed to enjoy it. Inspired by the fun and merriment, I'm trying another new one. This one will probably take longer than Tuesday's.

But I need your help again tonight, in two ways:
  • Way the First: Play the game below.
  • Way the Second: Let me know what you think.
Like I said Tuesday, I'm considering implementing a multi-game approach to the blog, with up to 5 different games a week -- maybe even spinning it off into its own website. But before we get that grandiose, I'd like to know what you think of this one game. So, take a look -- and play along -- and let me know what you think!



Inspired by this and, one supposes, subliminally by this, the name of tonight's game is POP CULTURE MATH.

Take the fun of reminiscing about the TV shows, movies, hit songs, and games you loved growing up, and add it to the non-stop excitement of story problems, and you've got POP CULTURE MATH.

This first one is, I think, of average difficulty. Unless you're, you know, Barbie.

How To Play
  1. Solve the word problem.
  2. Once you've figured out the solution, submit your answer to the question at the end as a comment here on the blog.
  3. Standard rules apply: Judge's decision final, have fun, blah blah blah. In this case, however, my leniency as a judge will not apply. The answer must be correct in POP CULTURE MATH.
I'll accept comment-entries until Friday, June 4, at 7:00 p.m. The first person to enter the correct answer, wins! You can submit your comment-entry starting at 7:00pm EDT tonight, but I'll wait until after the deadline to approve/post any comments.

You may enter as often as you like -- like, if you're not exactly sure of the answer -- but each comment/entry will be counted independent of your other entries; so if you get the answer right in one entry but wrong in another, it only counts as correct in the one you got it right in. (Got that?) If you're reading this on Facebook, go to the blog: http://sssemester.blogspot.com to play the game and enter your comment/entry.


OK, here we go:
Mrs. Garrett baked two gross of her famous Cream Cheese Streusel Doodlebops at Edna's Edibles.

Ed Rooney bought four doodlebops for each day Ferris Bueller had been absent this semester, but then returned three for each of Ferris's absences actually reflected in the school's computer system after Ferris hacked it.

Carol Brady bought six doodlebops for each of her children and stepchildren older than Cousin Oliver. Then she bought some more: two for each son-in-law or daughter-in-law she had in "A Very Brady Christmas."

Nena bought one doodlebop to attach to each luftballoon in her song.

And Andrea Zuckerman bought a number of doodlebops equal to the last two digits of the year she and the gang graduated from West Beverly High School.

How many doodlebops did Edna have left at the end of the day?


The Grand Prize -- Normally there will be one, I think.

Just like with PARTS OF SPEECH on Tuesday, if I get feedback that this is kind of fun, and I decide to do it on a weekly basis like the Song! Challenge!, then I'll start giving out prizes. Be sure to let me know what you think in the comments section -- like, if this is fun or not. I figure it's something to do for the people who aren't into music but who want to play along.

And hey! If you'd like to participate as a prize sponsor by donating a prize valued at $10 or more, please e-mail me at SSSemester(at)yahoo(dot)com.


(Almost) Everybody "Wins"

Again, if this takes off, maybe I'll also have an (Almost) Everybody "Wins" prize, too.

10 comments:

Amanda M. said...

Edna had 24 of Mrs. Garrett's doodlebops left at the end of the day. Do I need to show my work? :-)

gRegor said...

26!

shouldhavezagged said...

Edna had 20 doodlebops left at the end of the day.

Carol Lee said...

Mrs. Garrett baked two gross of her famous Cream Cheese Streusel Doodlebops at Edna's Edibles.=288

four doodlebops for each day Ferris Bueller had been absent=9x4=36 so that is 252
Returned three for each of Ferris's absences actually reflected in the school's computer =2x3=6 so that is 258.

Carol Brady bought six doodlebops for each of her children-Cousin Oliver is the youngest so 6x6= 36 so that is 222
Two for each son-in-law or daughter-in-law 3x2=6 so that 216

99 red balloons=117

And Andrea Zuckerman minus 95=22

How many doodlebops did Edna have left at the end of the day? 22

Carol Lee said...

Mrs. Garrett baked two gross of her famous Cream Cheese Streusel Doodlebops at Edna's Edibles.=288

four doodlebops for each day Ferris Bueller had been absent=9x4=36 so that is 252
Returned three for each of Ferris's absences actually reflected in the school's computer =2x3=6 so that is 258.

Carol Brady bought six doodlebops for each of her children-Cousin Oliver is the youngest so 6x6= 36 so that is 222
Two for each son-in-law or daughter-in-law 3x2=6 so that 216

99 red balloons=117

And Andrea Zuckerman minus 95=22

How many doodlebops did Edna have left at the end of the day? 22

feueraffe said...

This one was fun! If I can do math properly, I think she had 18 left...maybe?

Katie said...

28 left.

Maria said...

18 is my guess.

Amy Bridges said...

Okay, I'm going to comment that during the period of time covered by the pop culture referenced, I didn't watch much tv, because I was pursuing a degree in Mathematics!
Amy Bridges

Scott S. Semester said...

@Amy: Nerd.